OWRYOT

Thursday, June 26, 2008

knee surgery




Knee operations are not fun. I went in for my total knee replacement surgery on June 10. The operation was performed under a spinal anaesthetic, so I was sort of conscious for the whole procedure. I dozed and woke at intervals to hear sawing and hammering sounds. When the prosthesis was being inserted into my upper leg I could actually feel my body being jolted with the blows. My room was a converted sun room off one of the wards and had views over the harbour and city. The stay was as good as a hospital stay can be with nurses waking me up in the night to take my blood pressure and feed me pain killers. The food was ok once I worked out that you could order just about anything on the list. On the 15th the family brought Zoe up to visit Granddad on her birthday with cake and balloons. The nurses appreciated some cake. I was surprised at the constantly changing staff with permanent and temporary nurses it seemed that every day another nurse would introduce herself or himself and say “I will be looking after you this shift.” They were all competent, and all except one very pleasant.
I was discharged after seven days to recuperate at our son Struan’s home. Debbie was home and looked after me really well. I kept trying to do too much and the swelling took a long time to go down. I have found a wheat bag to be a great comfort. When I left hospital I could bend my knee over 90degrees, now it is only 60 and I am aiming for 120 at least. Work to do! Things really seemed to be coming along yesterday and then at 2.45 this morning I woke with a severe pain. I must have turned over and put my leg over the side of the bed. Wow it hurt! Things are settling down now. No doubt recovery has been slowed down some more. Patience is damn difficult. This afternoon we are driving back to Whangamata, where convalescence will continue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home