OWRYOT

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Bored in Nelson.


Congestion in Nelson Harbour

Battle Hill Park Wellington
Here we are 19th October and the first opportunity to sit outside under the awning in Nelson sunshine. The last two weeks have been very quiet. The weather has been awful, with some less windy times. People do not seem to be in yachting mood yet. I started an adult learn to sail course last Sunday and we were not able to get on the water. We have not even been able to get the Friday night keeler racing under way. It almost seems as though everything is waiting until after Labour weekend.
Being here in Nelson on my own with not much to do is not my ideal situation. I have made the acquaintance of some of the neighbours in the camp and they have provided some opportunities for social interaction, but I am getting a lot of television time. The highlight of the week is always When Lorna comes down.
This last Friday evening I went for a sail on a keeler with Ralph Urwin, the vice commodore of the club and Rex Sellers. We had a short sail outside the cut and managed to touch the bottom off Tahunanui Beach. No big drama – just a light brush with the sand.
Saturday of Labour Weekend was a great day for sailing, with a light wind in the morning and a breeze which changed to a strong Southerly late in the day. My young sailors had a great time with one of the younger ones who borrowed a better boat winning all three races in the afternoon. It has been blowing like stink ever since.
On Friday I picked up the car I will be driving for the summer – a 1987 Mitsubishi Mirage wagon. It will do very nicely, but I have to remember to change gears.
The work load looks like it is beginning to increase now, which will be good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home