OWRYOT

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Winding down in Nelson




Well I am winding down towards the end of the season. The work load has increased with more schools and a group of 420 sailors using the club and me. The Saturday morning group has provided a number of challenging moments. The photographs shows how a young sailor can get into trouble when there is very little wind and a strong tide. The photographer is Bill Evans of Nelson who has taken a number of excellent shots during my stay here. After these pictures were taken the wind suddenly picked up and the learners were unable to make headway against the wind and tide. Almost the whole of the one and a half hour lesson was spent rescuing children. At least none of them were scared off!
We have been trying to get the bus batteries to stay charged for a while now. This week I had to bite the bullet and buy two new ones. They have actually lasted really well having been purchased in 2004. I am just hoping that we do not have to replace the house batteries too soon. They will cost more than twice as much.
Next week I am moving the bus down to Christchurch for the Optimist Nationals. There are 6 sailors from Nelson attending, although 3 are working with their own coach which to an extent has sabotaged my position. I will also be overseeing the measurement at the contest.
Tonight we are going out to dinner at the “Playhouse Restaurant”. We have bought tickets to dinner and a show. The show is Gary McCormack and Ginette Macdonald. This should be a hoot.
The weather here is glorious at the moment. An anticyclone over the country certainly produces balmy days, and as the land is not heating up so much the sea breezes in the afternoon are not as strong. The weather is still not enough to convince me that I would like to live here in Nelson. I am really looking forward to getting back up north, and also to the trip to Tonga.
I hope to have more to report after Easter.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That water is such a wonderful colour!
Carolyn

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home